HECTOR Township, settled in 1873 and organized June 30, 1874, was at first called Milford but was renamed a month later for the township and village of Hector in Schuyler County, N.Y., whence many of its settlers had come. The city in sections 20, 21, 28, and 29 of this township, bearing the same name, was platted in September 1878, when the Hastings and Dakota Railway did a ten-block survey on land they owned, and was incorporated February 23, 1881. The post office was first located in 1875 in section 2 about four miles northeast of the village site, with John Baker as postmaster. It had a station serving the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Ste. Marie Railroad (Soo Line) and the Hastings and Dakota Railway.