Olivia, the Corn Capital of the World, is a rural community of 2570 friendly people. Olivia sits in the heart of the richest agricultural county in Minnesota, and is a world leader in agricultural innovation.
OLIVIA, the county seat, a city in Troy and Bird Island Townships, was first platted in September 1878 in section 7 of Bird Island Township and for some time called Station in Section 7, until named Olivia. It may have been named by Albert Bowman Rogers, an eminent civil engineer, who located this railway. "The first station agent to be placed at Ortonville, Minn., was a woman. Her name was Olive. She was a particular friend of Chief Engineer Rogers, and it was for her he named Olivia" (history of this county, p. 1359). Or the city may have been named for Margaret Olivia Sage, wife of Russell Sage, an official of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad. The city was incorporated March 4, 1881, and reincorporated and separated from the townships on September 28, 1906. After much contention extending through 15 years for removal of the county seat from Beaver Falls to Olivia, this was finally provided by a vote of the county, October 25, 1900. Isaac Lincoln was named first postmaster in 1879; it had a station serving several lines, including the Soo Line.